Roxy Theatre

41 Berry Street,
Nowra, NSW 2541

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Uploaded By

Tiny film

More Photos of This Theater

Photo Info

Uploaded on: October 14, 2023

Size: 34.8 KB

Views: 251

License:

Roxy Theatre 41 Berry Street, Nowra, NSW

The Roxy Theatre opened on August 14th 1935 with MGM’s “Naughty Marietta”.

In 1939 the owners, Charles Owen and Ron Sutton leased to theatre to Edwin Potts who also operated the Crown Theatre. In 1944 Potts bought the Roxy Theatre. His wife Monica took the reins after his death under her remarried name and ownership was officially listed as “Monica O'Brien trading as E.C.Potts & Co.”

Mrs O'Brien ran the theatre successfully until 1976 when she sold to Robert Brainwood. He was a veteran consultant in the exhibition business and set about modernising the Roxy Theatre. He twinned the main auditorium and later added three more screens. There have been plans to add even more at the rear of the building. Capacity has been reduced from 772 to 540.

Except for the large marquee the front remains just what it was in 1935 - Notes by john gleeson

Contributed by Greg Lynch -

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment