Roxy Theatre

41 Berry Street,
Nowra, NSW 2541

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Uploaded By

Tiny DavidColes

More Photos of This Theater

Photo Info

Uploaded on: October 16, 2021

Size: 917 KB

Views: 326

License:

Roxy Theatre

Street map of central Nowra showing film exhibition venues over the years. The Nowra School of Arts was the usual location for screenings by travelling picture showmen in the Silent Era. Frank Vincent West commenced screenings there early in 1912, and by the end of the year he had constructed an Open Air venue nearby - which he named the Crown Theatre. At the end of 1918 his screenings were transferred to a ‘hardtop’ he constructed at the corner of Berry & Junction Streets – also named the Crown. This theater dominated the screen scene of Nowra until the Roxy was built in 1935. West rebuilt the Crown at the end of 1940 and renamed it Wests, but the Roxy stayed as the main cinema in town – and continues to operate today as a multiplex.

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment