Star Theatre

111 W. Lincoln Avenue,
Anaheim, CA 92805

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Nearby Theaters

The Star Theatre’s advertisement first appeared in the Anaheim Gazette in November of 1910. Early Anaheim city directories through 1914 list the proprietor as L.H. Beddig. The Star Theatre’s last advertisement was in the Gazette in November of 1913. Advertisements in the 1914 Gazette show the Fairyland Theatre, which was located across the street, but no Star Theatre.

The theatre is listed on the Sanborn maps of 1911 on Center Street, which later became Lincoln Avenue. The 1915 city directory shows another business at the location. The theatre has long been demolished and Lincoln Avenue was realigned during urban renewal in the 1980’s.

Contributed by Ron Pierce

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Parts of Center Street were incorporated into Lincoln Avenue, but that did not include the part that was between Anaheim Blvd. and the railroad tracks, as well as a stretch west of Anaheim Blvd. to a point near Harbor Blvd.. The stretch just east of Anaheim Blvd. was realigned about 100 feet north, but it is still called Center Street. See this aerial view at Historic Aerials to see where Center Street has survived (select “All Roads” from the overlays menu to see the street names.)

The stretch of Center Street just west of Anaheim Blvd., where the Star Theatre was located, was covered with new construction in the 1970s, as part of an urban renewal project. As the theater was on the north side of the street its site is now part of the driveway and parking lot just north of where Vons Market is presently located.

After the Star Theatre closed, Mr. Beddig operated a house in Anaheim called the Mason Theatre, according to the November 21, 1914, issue of Southwest Contractor & Manufacturer, which said that he had let a $5,000 contract for installation of a Wurlitzer pipe organ in the theater.

The Mason was probably the theater on the ground floor of the Masonic lodge built at Center and Emily streets in 1913, and designed by local architect Fred H. Eley. That part of Center Street still exists, so when the Mason is added to Cinema Treasures it should keep its historic Center Street address. The Grand Theatre was also east of Anaheim Blvd., so it too should be listed on Center Street, not Lincoln Avenue.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.