Joseph H. Lebowsky Center

122 E. Main Street,
Owosso, MI 48867

Unfavorite 2 people favorited this theater

Related Websites

The Owosso Players (Official)

Additional Info

Previously operated by: W.S. Butterfield Theaters Inc.

Architects: George J. Bachmann

Functions: Performing Arts

Previous Names: Capitol Theatre

Nearby Theaters

News About This Theater

The restored Lebowsky Center

The Capitol Theatre was originally a 1,200-seat vaudeville house when it opened on March 4, 1926, and later turned to movies only. It closed as a movie theatre in 1985.

After a brief period when it was home to a church, it was taken over by the Owosso Players for live theatrical performances.

The current name of the theatre is in honor of the theatre’s builder, Joseph Lebowsky, whose family owned the theatre.

On February 13, 2007, an arson fire caused massive damage to the Lebowsky Center. The Owosso Players moved their performances to Owosso Middle School. In 2009, work began rebuilding and restoring the theatre.

The Joseph H. Lebowsky Center reopened May 9, 2014 with a performance of “Shrek the Musical”.

Contributed by Gary Flinn

Recent comments (view all 41 comments)

Mike Rogers
Mike Rogers on October 28, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Really clean and nice looking marquee.

steelbeard1 on June 17, 2011 at 7:13 am

As part of the theater’s restoration, the OCP agreed to retain the red tiles and the 1950s marquee because that is part of the facade’s history.

steelbeard1 on June 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

Financing is now in place to allow for the interior of this theater to be restored.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 30, 2012 at 12:48 am

The correct spelling of the architect’s surname is Bachmann.

BobFurmanek on March 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

NORTHWEST TRAIL had its world premiere at the Capitol in late 1945:

steelbeard1 on April 1, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Reconstruction of the theater’s interior is finally underway.

steelbeard1 on May 5, 2014 at 9:39 pm

The reconstruction is finally completed.

steelbeard1 on May 5, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Please change the seating capacity of the Lebowsky Center to 550. The reason for the reduced capacity is an enlarged lobby and more leg room with the new stadium seating.

steelbeard1 on May 29, 2016 at 11:21 am

The Lebowsky Center’s marquee has been restored with new LED lighting and electronic attraction boards which mean no more using a ladder to change the program.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on May 14, 2017 at 10:48 am

The opening of the Capitol Theatre was noted in this item from The Moving Picture World of April 10, 1926:

“Butterfield’s Capitol at Owosso Opens

“THE inaugural performances at Col. Butterfield’s new Capitol Theatre, Owosso, Michigan, were given on Thursday evening, March 4th, to two capacity audiences, and hundreds of people were turned away. The policy consists of three acts of Keith vaudeville together with the best feature pictures and comedies obtainable.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.