Gloria Palast und Gloriette
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Ufa
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Previous Names: Gloria Palast
Originally on this site stood the Ufa Gloria Palast, which was destroyed by allied bombs in 1943, leaving just the ruins of the outer walls (it has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
The site was eventually cleared and an apartment building was built in 1952. The new Gloria Palast cinema was opened on 2nd January 1953. It was located upstairs on the first floor, and was designed by architects Siegfred Fehr and Gerhard Jackel. It was a single floor cinema (with no balcony) and seated 954.
In 1972, the basement was converted into a second screen, known as the Gloriette, it had a seating capacity for 190.
The Gloria Palast & Gloriette were closed on 6th August 1998 screening Ethan Hawke in “Gattaca” and Helena Bonham Carter in “The Wings of the Dove”. The cinemas were immediately stripped (overnight!) of all their cinema equipment. It was converted into a Benetton clothing store, but being a Listed building, many of the decorative features have been retained.
Sadly it was demolished in February 2018.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.