33-35 Belmont Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: Captain Fred Campbell
Firms: Campbell & Fairhurst
Styles: Tudor Revival
Previous Names: Belmont Road Picture House
Located in the north Liverpool district of Anfield. The Belmont Road Picture House was opened on 17th January 1914. The facade had a Tudor style feature centrally placed over the entrance. Seating was provided for 780 on a stadium plan, with a raised section at the rear, rather than an overhanging balcony.
In 1931, the Belmont Road Picture House was leased to the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain. They operated it until 20th November 1937. It was taken over by an independent operator, and was closed for a refurbishment, which included increasing the seating capacity to 800.
It re-opened as the Lido Cinema on 24th January 1938 with Sonja Henie in “One in a Million”. The Lido Cinema was closed on 6th June 1959 with William Holden in “Streets of Laredo” and “The Buckskin Lady”.
In 1960, a new facade was added and it re-opened as a theatre & cabaret club named the Wookey Hollow. This was closed in 1982 when it was damaged by a fire. Repairs were carried out, and it re-opened as a fun bar/nightclub, again known as the Wookey Hollow. It operated into the early-1990’s, but has since closed. A kitchen fittings centre now operates in the much altered building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.