No one has favorited this theater yet
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Royal Cinema de Luxe, Cinema de Lux, The Cinema
Located in Ashford, Kent. The Royal Cinema de Luxe was opened on 24th June 1912 with “Christopher Columbus”. Designed by architect A.E. Lacey, seating was provided in stalls and circle levels. It had a 30 feet wide proscenium and a 20 feet deep stage that had a shell-shaped roof to improve acoustics. There were three dressing rooms. In 1917 a 3Manual ‘straight’ organ with 18 speaking stops was installed.
In 1935, architect A.E. Jackson was engaged to remodel the cinema, and it was given an Art Deco style inside to the plans of Interior designers Mollo & Egan. The side splay walls beside the proscenium were painted with a foliage design. The exterior was also given an Art Deco style redesign. It re-opened on 14th January 1936 as The Cinema.
It was twinned in April 1985 and was re-named Picture House. In May 1987 it was tripled. The Picture House was closed in 1992 and was demolished to make way for the Ashford International Railway Station.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.