31 Market Square,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Architects: John R. Wilkins
Previous Names: Cinematograph Theatre, Electric Theatre, Electric Palace, People's Palace
Located in the small Oxfordshire town of Witney. The Cinematograph Theatre was opened on 11th January 1913 with a selection of films which included “The Cuttle Fish”. Seating was provided for 450, all on a single level. It was designed by architect John R. Wilkins. The cinema soon became known as the Electric Palace. By 1934 it was known as the People’s Palace.
A new larger cinema was built above and around surrounding the People’s Palace while shows continued inside. After the new structure was completed, the old Cinematograph Theatre/People’s Palace was demolished, and after fitting out, the new Palace Cinema opened in December 1933. It now had seating for 750 in stalls and circle levels. The Palace Cinema was closed on 26th January 1985.
The building was divided into several spaces which housed a gym and a nightclub. It was purchased by the J.D. Wetherspoon chain of pubs in late-2011, and the original space was restored, re-opening as a pub named ‘The Company of Weavers’ on 21st February 2012. The 1933 cinema frontage has been removed and the building now has a new façade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.