Loew's Stillman Theatre
1111 Euclid Avenue,
4 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Firms: George B. Post & Sons
Previous Names: Stillman Theatre
News About This Theater
- Dec 9, 2012 — Happy 50th, “Lawrence of Arabia”
The Stillman Theatre was built on the site of the 19th Century Stillman Hotel, which was razed in 1902. It opened on September 29, 1916, and was the first true movie palace in Cleveland, one of the largest and most luxurious theatres ever built in Cleveland (or anywhere in the Midwest for that matter) at that time. It was equipped with an Austin pipe organ which had a 3 manual console and 35 ranks.
Acquired by the Loew’s circuit in 1917, it was from then on known as the Loew’s Stillman Theatre. It had its greatest moment in 1939, when the Cleveland premiere of the epic “Gone With the Wind” was held at Loew’s Stillman Theatre.
In the late-1950’s, in a bid to increase declining audiences due to television, Loew’s had the Super Technirama 70 process installed at Loew’s Stillman Theatre.
However, in 1963, the theatre was closed, and in 1965, most of the theatre was demolished and replaced by a parking garage for the neighboring Statler Arms Apartments (the former Statler Hotel, which has been spectacularly restored to its 1920’s appearance).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.