Scala Picture House
142 East Parade,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Crowthers Theatre
The Scala Picture House in East Parade at Shipley Airedale Road was a purpose built two tier cinema which opened in August 1913. It was built and operated by the adjacent St. Mary’s Catholic Church to help raise money for the church. It became a theatre for a year. As a cinema it had 700 seats with tip-up chairs in stalls and circle seating areas.
It is reputed to be intact inside and the only incident worthy of note was the unfortunate death of a boy in 1916 when a gale force wind dislodged a stone cross from the gable of St Mary’s which then plunged through the roof of the cinema and crushed the poor lad who was awaiting the start of the film.
The Scala Picture House was closed in 1922 and became a church hall for St. Mary’s Catholic Church. The church was converted into a banqueting and events venue called Regency Hall in 2017, and the vacant former Plaza Picture House had an application to extend that use was submitted to Bradford Council in late-2020.
The former Plaza Picture House is a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.