1550 S. King Street,
11 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Consolidated Theatres
Architects: Louis Davis
Functions: Auto Repair Shop
Previous Names: New Pawaa Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 31, 2013 — "2001: A Space Odyssey" 45th Anniversary – The Cinerama Engagements
- Jan 16, 2013 — REMEMBERING CINERAMA (Part 56: Honolulu)
- May 23, 2012 — Celebrating the Original STAR WARS on its 35th Anniversary
- May 21, 2010 — Happy 30th, "Empire"
- Aug 21, 2009 — "Alien" 30th Anniversary
Situated just outside the Waikiki area, this theatre was Honolulu’s oldest operating movie house and one of its few remaining single screen palaces.
The Cinerama theatre was actually constructed in 1928 and opened as the New Pawaa Theatre on 5th January 1929 with William Haines in “Telling the World”. It was designed with a beautifully Atmospheric Tropical-style interior. The theatre was overhauled in 1962 and renamed the Cinerama Theatre on its reopening December 11, 1962. In April 1968 “2001, A Space Odyssy” opened here.
Through the 1990’s, the Cinerama continued to be a haven for classic and second run films. However, with profitability hard to come by, the theatre was closed in 1999, bringing an end to a grand chapter in Hawaii’s cinematic history.
The former Hawaii Cinerama, the theatre that delighted millions became a Riley Auto Parts store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.