24 Franklin Road,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Odeon Theatres Ltd.
Architects: George Coles
Styles: Art Deco
Located in Portslade-on-Sea, 3 miles west of Brighton, East Sussex. The building was being erected in late-1933, for use as an assembly hall, but was taken over by the Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres Ltd., and architect George Coles altered the plans to convert the building into a cinema. All seating was on a single floor and the proscenium was 34 feet wide. There was also a small stage.
The Rothbury Cinema opened on 27th March 1934 with Charles Laughton in "The Private Life of Henry VIII". The building also had a cafe and ballroom attached. It was operated by the builder of the cinema, Mr A.L. Middleton, and Oscar Deutsch, soon pulled out of the operation of the cinema.
Taken over by an independent operator from 1938. In 1958, the Rothbury Cinema was used a one of the locations for the filming of "Battle of the V-1" starring Michael Rennie. It was closed on 19th January 1964 with "Where Danger Lies" and "The Champion". It was converted into a bingo club.
It was re-named Radio House from 1983, when the building was converted into studios and offices for the Southern FM radio station, today Heart FM Radio.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.