No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Rank Organisation
Architects: George Gunn
Previous Names: Botchergate Kinema, Picture House, Gaumont
Built behind existing buildings on the east side of Botchergate south of Portland Street. The entrance was at number 37 down a narrow passage. The Botchergate Kinema was built in around 1914, and opened in 1915. It soon became known as the Picture House. From 1916 to 1918, it was used as a Wesleyan Chapel annex on Sundays. By 1922, a cafe/restaurant was added in a former shop unit on the right of the entrance. The Picture House was independently operated.
On 5th September 1955 it was taken over by the Rank Organisation and was re-named Gaumont from 18th June 1956. From 13th January 1964, it was re-named Odeon.
The Odeon was closed by the Rank Organisation on 17th May 1969. The auditorium was demolished, but the older properties facing Botchergate was converted into a Liptons supermarket (later a Presto Supermaket). This building was demolished in around 1999.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.