Orpheum Theatre

S. 18th Street and Broadway Avenue,
Parsons, KS 67357

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Architects: Carl Boller, Robert O. Boller

Firms: Boller Brothers

Previous Names: Elks Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Elks Theatre ... Parsons Kansas

The Elks Theatre was opened in December 22, 1904 with a stage production of “The Wizard of Oz”. It was renamed Orpheum Theatre on May 22, 1921. It was equipped for talkies in 1929. It was destroyed by fire on December 19, 1939.

Contributed by Billy Holcomb / Billy Smith / Don Lewis

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Don Lewis
Don Lewis on July 1, 2010 at 7:08 pm

From Parsons a picture postcard view of the Elks Theater.

Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois
Ret. AKC (NAC) CCC Bob Jensen, Manteno, Illinois on July 6, 2010 at 7:00 am





Open 1904-1925?

Need an address, more info and more photos.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on September 28, 2012 at 1:16 am

The Elks Theatre opened on December 22, 1904. It was located at S. 18th Street and Broadway Avenue. In 1914, it became the Orpheum Theatre. The Orpheum operated until it was destroyed by fire on December 20, 1939. It was never rebuilt. There is now a hotel on its site.

There are a couple of photos in Parsons, by David Mattox and Mike Brotherton (Google Books preview.)

dallasmovietheaters on December 9, 2020 at 12:00 pm

The Elks Theatre opened with a live stage presentation of “The Wizard of Oz” on December 22, 1904. The theatre became the Orpheum Theatre on May 22, 1921 staying live. But then the Orpheum relied more heavily on motion pictures installing sound in 1929. Its major, multi-month 1930 refresh largely was aimed at presenting talkies. And W.F. McAleer pulled off a major coup in 1932 by signing up exhibition contracts with both MGM and Warner Brothers to become the top movie house in town.

The final film at the Orpheum was December 19, 1939 with “Nurse Edith Cavell.” Showings of “Nonotchka” were cancelled when the film print and theatre burned ending the theater’s run on December 20, 1939.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.