297 Green Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Picture Coliseum Cinema
Located on the corner of Green Street and Plashet Grove. It was a ‘sister’ cinema to the Picture Coliseum Cinema in nearby East Ham, and was owned by Sir John Bethel, who also designed this cinema.
The Picture Coliseum Cinema opened on 21st October 1910 with seating for 650, all on a single floor. In September 1913, a balcony was added, increasing the seating capacity to 800. In 1924, noted cinema architect George Coles was engaged to add lock-up shops to the building and modify the facade. Further alterations were carried out in 1927, and again in 1930 for the introduction of ‘talkies’, to the plans of architect Frederick H. Buen.
It was re-named Coliseum Cinema in 1937 and was closed in 1940, possibly due to damage by German bombs. It never re-opened, and has since been demolished and the site has been redeveloped.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.