1 person favorited this theater
Cineplex - Germany (Official)
Operated by: Cineplex - Germany
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Titania-Palast
The Titania-Palast opened on 28th January 1928 for vaudeville shows and movies. The opening film was “Der Sprung ins Gluck” (Jump into Happiness) starring Carmen Boni (who appeared ‘in person’) and a revue on the stage “Wien und die Wienerin” (Vienna and the Viennese). The symphony orchestra had 80 musicians and the Steinmeyer concert organ was opened by organist Hans Joachim Ulm. Seating was provided for 1,924, with 1,418 in the orchestra and 506 in the balcony. Famous for its Avant-Garde Deco style architecture, inside and outside. It’s 30m ‘light tower’ became a widely known landmark. The Titania-Palast also had a 350-seat café for the convenience of its patrons.
The first sound film was Al Jolson in “The Singing Fool” which opened on 29th October 1929. The cinema survived World War II without much damage. On 19th September 1950 the Revue 1950 was staged, starring Josephine Baker. In 1953 it became one of the first CinemaScope cinemas. In 1960 the proscenium opening was ‘modernised’ and the adjacent side-walls were draped and a new ceiling was installed in the auditorium. On the 3rd & 4th May 1960 Marlene Dietrich appeared ‘in concert’. It continued to show movies and music shows until closing as a single screen cinema on 10th December 1965. A production of the opera “Die Fledermaus” was performed from 25th December 1965 until 9th January 1966.
The foyer and rear orchestra seating area was converted into a supermarket, the remainder of the building lay empty and unused.
The building was gutted internally, loosing the magnificent interior and it was reopened in 1995 as the Cineplex Titania 5-screen multiplex with 505-seats, using only a small part of the original building, besides several shops. By 2022 it had expanded to 7 screens with a total seating capacity of 1,223-seats.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.