100 Bloor Street W,
10 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Famous Players
Architects: Eric W. Hounsom
Styles: Streamline Moderne
News About This Theater
Opened on March 25, 1949, the University Theatre was one of the first movie theaters in North America to not only feature 70mm projection, but also a THX Dolby Surround Sound system. It was a good-sized theatre with a balcony so large that there was a snack bar on it as well as on the main floor.
It was a very popular theatre for its entire run and screened several significant premieres, including "Apocalypse Now" and a special double bill of "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" with a rare preview for the trailer of "Return of the Jedi" before it came out and was known as "Revenge of the Jedi."
Despite a petition of over 25,000 people, it was closed when the property value became too great to continue operating as a theatre. The University Theatre was demolished in 1986 and, today, only its rebuilt facade remains, fronting a newly constructed retail structure.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.