3520 Dr Martin Luther King Drive,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Famous Players
Architects: Charles Deitring
More than 50 years before the "multi-cinema" trend hit the St. Louis market, the Novelty Theatre consisted of two theatres, one on each floor. One auditorium presented silent films; the other presenting live acts. And, during the summer months, a roof garden as well.
The Novelty Theatre was opened by O. T. Crawford in February 1910. Ten years later, when the Crawford chain of theatres reached a financial impasse, the theatre operation was taken over by Famous Players-Missouri, then City Wide Amusement, and finally St. Louis Amusement which closed the theatre in June 1930.
The exact date the two auditorium operation ended is to be determined, but as a single auditorium the seating capacity was listed as 1,086.
The architect was Charles Deitring.
The theatre located at 3520 Easton (now Martin Luther King). The structure is extant, with the last known use as a storage facility.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.