Catford Road and Catford Broadway,
2 people favorited this theater
Broadway Theatre, Catford (Official)
Firms: Bradshaw, Gass & Hope
Functions: Concerts, Live Theatre, Movies (Classic), Movies (Independent), Movies (Second Run)
Styles: Art Deco, Beaux-Arts, Gothic Revival
Previous Names: Catford Public Halls, Lewisham Theatre
Located in the Rushey Green district of Catford, a district of southeast London. The Catford Public Halls was built in 1932 as part of the Town Hall (since demolished) and was opened on 22nd June 1932 by His Royal Highness Duke of York. With a seating capacity in the main hall for 900 in stalls and circle levels, it was designed for multi-purpose use, mainly concerts and special events. It was also equipped for screening silent films in the main hall and a Compton 3Manual/14Ranks theatre organ was installed to accompany the films.
Later there were 845 seats in the main theatre and 102 in the Studio Theatre. Although located at Rushey Green, Catford, the theatre was later, rather confusingly, re-named Lewisham Theatre, as Lewisham is some distance away.
The Broadway Studio was restored and re-opened in May 1987, and in recent years, the main hall has been re-named Broadway Theatre and has been restored. The Compton theatre organ was restored in 1984 by Rushworth & Dreaper, and is now played at special events accompanying silent classic films. In addition to staging live theatre productions, the Broadway Theatre has regular screenings of recent films, and of course today is equipped to screen sound films.
Closed during the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2022 the local council who own the building decided to refurbish the building and it reopened on March 6, 2023 with 772-seats in the main auditorium and 90-seats in the Studio Theatre.
The Broadway Theatre is a Grade II* Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.
Recent comments (view all 2 comments)
Photographs taken in 2007.
The larger auditorium “doubled” for that of the Roxy, a cinema supposedly in Oxford, in the episode entitled “Cartouche” of the ongoing British TV series “Endeavour” (the young Inspector Morse). Standing in for the Roxy’s exterior was the former Carlton in London’s Islington, now a church.