Palace Cinema

Hill Street,
Cefn-Mawr, LL14

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Styles: Tudor Revival

Nearby Theaters

Palace Cinema

Cefn-Mwar is located to the South of Wrexham, Denbighshire. The Palace Cinema was considered to be the better of the two cinemas in the town. It was operating prior to 1934, and was equipped with a British Acoustic(BA) sound system. It was still open in the early-1960’s.

It had been derelict for a number of years when it was destroyed by a three-engine fire on the night of 13th August 1967 into the morning of 14th August 1967. No one was injured and the cause of the blaze was unknown. The remains were demolished and the site is now part of a recreation ground.

Contributed by Editha Pearce

Recent comments (view all 1 comments)

Capelmawr on November 28, 2009 at 11:56 am

This venue was built around 1919, just behind the Holly Bush public house and opposite the George Edwards hall (The other cinema in Cefn) on what had been part of the track of the tramway from the Rhosymedre quarries. The building was built largely of corrugated iron, which somewhat belied its comfortable and welcoming interior.Access was gained by a set of steps from Hill Street, which led down to the foyer.

The first owner was Mr. John Owen Jones, who was described as “an energetic, bald-headed man who spent matinees running up and down the central aisle with his flashlight threatening to evict any unruly boys.”

The cinema could seat 700 patrons. Surprisingly the cinema was not mentioned in Kinema Times Yearbook until much later, so we are unaware of opening admission prices. An R.C.A. Photophone sound system was installed to take the cinema into the sound era.

The cinema appears to have survived the war years with Mr. Jones still as owner, but by 1951 Mr. A. Jacobs of Rhyl (Who was also by now the lessee of the George Edwards Hall) had taken over as owner and prices were now 7d to 1/6d, with shows continuously daily from 5.30pm each day.

By 1966 the cinema was in the hands of G.V.H. Cinemas of Ellesmere Port, but Cinemascope had not been installed apparently. How the venue survived so long when all films were released in the large screeen format is not known. 1967 was to be the last season for the cinema, unfortunately, as in August 1967 the cinema was destroyed by fire and subsequently demolished.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.