Grand Opera House
651 Mulberry Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Grand Opera House, Macon (Official)
Previously operated by: Paramount Pictures Inc.
Architects: W.R. Gunn
Styles: Gothic Revival
Previous Names: Academy of Music, Grand Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
The Academy of Music was opened on September 22, 1884 and had 2,418 seats. It was designed by W.R. Gunn. Around two decades later, the Academy of Music was renovated, and opened again as the Grand Opera House on February 1, 1905. In 1925 a 2 Manual Robert Morton organ was installed in the Grand Theatre. The Grand Opera House became a movie theatre in 1936. By 1941 it was operated by Paramount Pictures Inc. through their subsidiary Lucas & Jenkins.
As a movie theatre, the Grand Theatre closed in 1965 and faced demolition. The building was saved from demolition by the Macon Arts Council. After being restored, the Grand Opera House opened again on April 6, 1970.
The Grand Opera House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.