8 King Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Lyric Theatre, Carmarthen (Official)
Architects: William S. Wort
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Assembly Rooms, Lyric Cinema, New Lyric Cinema
The Assembly Rooms opened on 21st November 1854 with a seating capacity of 600. It was used for plays lectures, balls and other entertainments.
From 1st April 1918, it was re-named Lyric Cinema, with programmes of films, and concert party type shows performed on the stage. The Lyric Cinema was wired for sound in March 1930 and Al Jolson in “Sonny Boy" was screened. At the end of March 1931, it was closed for two weeks for some modernisation to take place. A cafe was added and a new 20 feet wide proscenium was installed. The Lyric Cinema now had 550 seats.
In 1934, it was decided to build a new auditorium on land behind the Assembly Rooms/Lyric Cinema. Designed by architect William W. Wort of Cardiff in an Art Deco style, the New Lyric Cinema opened on 6th August 1936 with Richard Tauber in "Hearts Desire". Seating was now provided for 900 in stalls and circle levels. There was a 36 feet wide proscenium with a fully equipped stage.
The Lyric Cinema closed in late-August 1983 and then lay empty and unused. It was taken over by the local Council and was refurbished and re-opened in 1986. Today it operates as a live theatre, with some first run cinema use.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.