157 Blaxcell Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Hoyts Cinemas
Architects: Christopher A. Cowper
Firms: John W. Roberts & Associates
Functions: Community Center
Previous Names: Hoyts Crest Theatre
Located in the Sydney suburb of Granville, near Granville South. The Crest Theatre opened at Easter, 27th March 1948 with “The Swordsman” and “Dangerous Years”. It was designed by architect Christopher A. Cowper and architectural firm John W. Roberts & Associates. It had an imposing corner entrance, that had a slender fin-tower feature. Inside the auditorium, the seating was on a stadium plan, with a raised stepped section at the rear, instead of an overhanging balcony. Operated by the Hoyts Theatres chain for its entire cinematic life. In it last years, it was only open one day a week, on a Saturday. The final closing date was Saturday, 24th August 1963.
After closing as a cinema, it was used as a ballroom and bingo hall. The building is currently used as a public hall.
It is Listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.