Glynn Cinema

110 Foregate Street,
Chester, CH1 1HB

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Gaumont-British-Picture Corp., Ltd.

Firms: Marshall & Muspratt

Functions: Bar

Styles: Tudor Revival

Previous Names: Glynn Picture Hall

Nearby Theaters

Glynn Cinema

The Glynn Picture Hall opened June 19, 1911 with “Sixtus the Fifth”, and had a half-timbered facade. It was operated by the Glynn Animated Picture Co. who also operated the Glynn Cinemas in Wrexham and Shrewesbury.

It was taken over by General Theatre Corporation(GTC) in March 1928 (they later were taken over by the Gaumont British Theatres circuit). The Glynn Cinema closed on 5th September 1931 with “Lure of the South Seas”. It was replaced by the citys' new Gaumont Palace Cinema. The Glynn Cinema was never fitted out for talkies.

The building was converted into retail use and this lasted until April 1995. It is now home to a bar named Revolution.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome on August 2, 2010 at 8:10 am

2006 photo.
The entrance was obviously converted from an existing shop.
Above ground floor level the front still looks like it would have done in 1911.
Note the circular window of the operating room:
View link

Philip Picturedrome
Philip Picturedrome on August 2, 2010 at 8:16 am
  1. From the back.
    Obviously rebuilt at some time, but still occupying the same footprint, and giving some idea of how new auditoria were added to existing shop fronts:
    View link
popcorn_pete on February 16, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Opening film Sixtus the Fifth and closing film Lure of the South Seas. Named after Glynn Hill who founded Glynn Animated Picture Company with G.E. Bulford. Subsequent uses included a fruit & veg store, a car showroom, House of Holland store, and of course the bar, previously Edwards. It was gutted by fire at some point and was indeed rebuilt as the previous comment suggests.

PROJIE on April 1, 2018 at 4:44 am

The cinema was never equipped for sound and there was an orchestra called Hillman and Glynn. The Gaumont opened in March 1931 and this cinema closed in September 1931.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.