No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit
Firms: Martin & Bloomfield Jackson
Previous Names: Alhambra Theatre of Varieties, Attercliffe Palace Theatre, Palace of Varieties
This theatre originally opened on 3rd January 1898 as the Alhambra Theatre of Varieties and was designed in a Moorish style by the architectural firm Martin & Blomfield Jackson, headed by A. Blomfield Jackson, one-time partner of noted theatre architect C.J. Phipps. The original seating capacity was 1,200. It was located in the East End district of Sheffield and was operated by the MacNaghten Vaudeville Circuit. It was re-named Attercliffe Palace Theatre in 1904. It was taken over by T. Allan Edwardes of Derby in 1907, and showed its first film programme in June 1909. In November 1911 it had a name change to Palace of Varieties.
It closed in June 1930 and was re-designed by architect Fred A. Foster in a Moorish Atmospheric style, re-opening on 13th October 1930 as a full-time cinema with Sally O'Neil in “Broadway Scandals”, but occasional variety acts were booked. There was a 21 feet deep stage and 6 dressing rooms. It ceased to operate as a cinema on 17th July 1937 screening Kay Francis in “Sweet Aloes”. From 2nd August 1937 it went back to live theatre, finally closing on 1st July 1955 with the revue “Strip, Sauce and Spice”. Demolished in 1962.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.