845 S. Broadway,
7 people favorited this theater
Styles: Art Nouveau
Previous Names: Asher Hamburger's Majestic Theatre
Originally built as Asher Hamburger’s Majestic Theatre and built for M.A. Hamburger. It opened in November 23, 1908 with a Shubert production “The Land of Nod” starring Knox Wilson. It was leased to Oliver Morosco. Designed by architectural firm Edelman & Barnett, the structural engineers were Mayberry & Parker. Interior decorations were by Dutch artist Antoon Molkenboer. Seating was provided in orchestra and two cantilevered horseshoe balcony levels. The stage was 40ft wide and 80ft deep. The proscenium was 36ft wide. There was a cafe located in the basement. Actor Ramon Navarro was employed in his first job as an usher and occasionally had bit parts.
Between the stage productions the Majestic Theatre would occasionally screen movies. It became a full time cinema in 1915 and a Wurlizer organ was installed in the foyer. Over the years it switched from films to stage shows several times and finally ended its days as a movies & burlesque theatre. It was closed in April 1933 with a production named “Pleasure Seekers”. It was demolished in May 1933 to become a parking lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.