Cinema X

716 Monmouth Street,
Newport, KY 41071

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Functions: Retail

Styles: Art Deco

Previous Names: State Theater

Nearby Theaters

Cinema X

The State Theater opened on November 10, 1939 with Eleanor Powell in “Honolulu”. On December 18, 1970 it was renamed Cinema X, screening adult movies. The Cinema X was closed on March 11, 1982. It has since been demolished and the site is used for parking.

Contributed by Lost Memory

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

kencmcintyre on May 8, 2008 at 7:42 pm

According to this site, the Cinema X closed in March 1982:

kencmcintyre on May 8, 2008 at 8:08 pm

Scroll down for the photo and the date:

meheuck on May 10, 2008 at 9:23 am

A different site states the theatre closed a month earlier:

“…Cinema X [closed] on February 3, 1982 after hosting the double feature ‘Sex Boat’ and ‘Hot Channels.’ The theater closed as part of a negotiated agreement with the commonwealth of Kentucky taking over the building in exchange for fines against the cinema. Later that year, the state gave the building to the city of Newport so that it could be demolished for a parking lot. Demolition began on March 1, 1983 and a sign now designates the spot as the Historic Taylor’s Landing public parking lot.”

View link

hanksykes on November 15, 2008 at 5:15 pm

This Cinema X in Newport,Kentucky ,is often confused with the Cinema X in Cincinnati,Ohio on Race Street. The Kentucky venue ran much longer than its Ohio neighbor.

kencmcintyre on January 21, 2009 at 3:57 pm

This is a February 1996 item from the Kentucky Post:

According to the Newport City Directory in 1939 the address at 716 Monmouth St., which would become the site of the State Theatre was formerly the location of Broering Brothers Refrigeration Apparatus. The same directory directory listed the owners as Joseph A. Broering and Bernard G. Broering.

Earlier, in the 1920s, the same site had housed W. W. Dowell & Co., which sold umbrellas and parasols. William W. Dowell and A. E. Meyer were the company owners.

rivest266 on June 14, 2022 at 7:50 pm

This reopened as Cinema X on December 18th, 1970. Grand opening ad posted.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.