1 person favorited this theater
Connaught Theatre (Official)
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Picturedrome
The Picturedrome was opened on 29th January 1914 with a seating capacity of 860, all on one level. It was designed by Eastbourne based architect Peter Dulvey Stonham. Refurbishments were carried out in May 1933 to the plans of architect A.T. Goldsmith. A stage house and fly tower were built and the building was given an Art Deco ‘Odeon’ style frontage. The Picturedrome re-opened on 31st July 1933 with Cecily Courtneidge in “Soldiers of the Queen”. The Picturedrome was closed on 17th June 1935.
The building was given a new entrance foyer, with a bar located above, and it re-opened on 30th September 1935 as the Connaught Theatre, a new home of live drama in Worthing.
The Connaught Theatre, now operated by Worthing Borough Council, began to screen films again, when on 2nd March 1987 “A Chorus Line” was screened. A second screen seating 220 has been created from a space within the Connaught Buildings. The original main auditorium space now seats 506, and is used for live theatre and films.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.