Cines Lauren Universitat 1-4
Carrer del Tallers, 76,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Lauren Cinemas
Previous Names: Cine Pelayo, Cines Pelayo
Located close to the University of Barcelona in the city centre. The Cine Pelayo opened in 1948 with the Mexican film "La Diosa Arrodillada"("The Kneeling Goddess") starring Maria Felix and Arturo de Cordova. It had a seating capacity of 1,380, located in orchestra and balcony levels. Initially it played films from Mexico, Argentina and Spain, and this policy lasted until the early-1950’s. The film “The Great Caruso” starring Mario Lanza was a big hit at the Cine Pelayo in December 1952.
In 1985 it was converted into a twin screen cinema, re-opening on 8th November 1985 with seating for 620 in the former stalls and 270 in the former balcony. At the same time, the Cine Petit Pelayo, which was located at the rear of the Cine Pelayo, and had its own seperate entrance, was incorporated into the Cine Palayo and given a shared entrance. This added a third screen seating 490 to the 890 seat twin cinema (The Cine Petit Pelayo/Cine Lauren Universitat 5, has its own separate listing on Cinema Treasures). In recent years the former Cines Palayo has been sub-divided to provide another two screens.
In November 1993, the Cines Pelayo and Cine Petit Pelayo came under the ownership of the Lauren Cinemas group and they have now been re-named Cines Lauren Universitat. The complex closed on 5th July 2015, for renovation, but this never happened and it was sitting board up in January 2022.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.