736 Wyoming Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Wyoming Theater was built on the southwest corner of Wyoming Street and Gunkel Avenue in 1914 by Albert Staehlin. A baker by trade, the theater business must not have suited him, for the following year he sold the property to real estate investor Gus G. Kinzeler.
Kinzeler, one-time owner of Funland Theater on Valley Street, did quite well during the decade he owned the theater. When attendance began to decline, Kinzeler sold his interest in the Wyoming Theater to Samuel D. Crumbaugh in 1925. When the downtown Colonial Theater introduced the first all-talking, full length picture “Lights of New York” on September 22, 1928, it sounded the death knell for many of the remaining small, silent theaters. Without the funds to purchase the equipment needed for this new form of entertainment, the nickelodeon’s days were numbered. The Wyoming Theater was no exception, closing its doors sometime in 1929.
The theater remained vacant for several years then became the Silver Slippers tavern, a place where dances were held and included meals. In the 1930’s, John Schaub bought the property and opened a restaurant. Over the next few decades, the building switched to become Kelly’s bar, remaining a restaurant and tavern until finally closing in 1983. Records seem to indicate that it has been vacant ever since. Curt Dalton spoke to one of the owners around 1997 and was told that the building was being used for storage.
The property is now owned by Hotel Innovations, Inc. Records seem to indicate that the company bought the property on September 12, 2002 for $35,000. The 2004 real estate tax bill was sent to Hotel Innovations, Inc., 340 North Dixie Drive, Suite 1, Vandalia, OH 45377. When the building sold in 2002, the sale was listed in the newspaper as being bought by Hotel Innovation, Inc., Gerhard K. Leinberger, 8245 Wyoming Street, Dayton, OH. Hotel Innovations is not listed in the 2005 edition of the Dayton White Pages, nor is there a listing for Gerhard K. Leinberger. The building was demolished in 2016.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.