123 Pearl Street NW,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Jack Loeks Theatres
Architects: Oscar Cobb
Previous Names: Powers Opera House, New Powers Theater, Foto News Theatre
News About This Theater
- Mar 2, 2010 — Happy 45th, "The Sound Of Music"
Opened on May 12, 1874 as Powers Opera House, it was designed by Chicago based architect Oscar Cobb. By the 1940’s it was screening movies, known as Powers Theater. In 1892 it was destroyed by fire. It was rebuilt and re-opened in 1893. In 1895 it was renamed New Powers Theater. In November 1901 another fire badly damaged the building and it was rebuilt, to reopen in 1902. It operated successfully as a playhouse until the early-1940’s when it was more dark than open.
It was taken over by John D. Loeks and on November 1, 1944 it was renamed Foto News Theatre and began its career as a movie theatre, initially as a newsreel theatre. It was remodeled in 1948 and was renamed Midtown Theater. It closed on September 20, 1972 and was demolished in 1978 as part of a downtown redevelopment.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.