Odeon Greenwich

82 Trafalgar Road,
London, SE10 9UW

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: D.J. James Circuit, Odeon Theatres Ltd., Rank Organisation

Architects: Leslie H. Kemp, Frederick E. Tasker

Firms: Kemp & Tasker, Ward & Ward

Styles: Art Deco

Previous Names: Trafalgar Cinema

Nearby Theaters

Odeon Greenwich

Located in the southeast London district of Greenwich. The Trafalgar Cinema opened on 26th December 1912. It was a well decorated building which had a tower and dome above the corner entrance at Trafalgar Road and Maze Hill. It was designed by the architectural firm Ward & Ward and had a seating capacity of 815 seats which were all on one floor. Initially operated as an independent cinema, it was later managed by Greenwich Picture Palaces Ltd. in the 1920’s.

In 1934 it was taken over by D.J. James Circuit and the building was re-modelled, giving it a more ‘modern’ look. A balcony level was added, giving a seating capacity of 1,400 and architects Leslie H. Kemp and F.E. Tasker were the designers of what was virtually a new building which opened on 16th September 1935 with James Cagney in “Devil Dogs of the Air”. Variety shows were often presented as part of the film programme as the cinema had a 20 feet deep stage and two dressing rooms.

In February 1937 it was taken over by Eastern Cinemas and they operated it until 1945 when that company was taken over by Odeon Theatres Ltd. The Trafalgar Cinema was then renamed Odeon from 30th July 1945.

It closed on 30th April 1960 with Sid James in "Carry On Constable" and Joel Lawrence in "Road Racers". The frontage of the building was removed and it was converted into a garage and car sale showroom. Later it became a supermarket and then briefly a furniture store in June 1995.

It was demolished in around 1998 and an office block was built on the frontage part, with flats built on the auditorium part in 2004.

Contributed by Ken Roe

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on November 14, 2009 at 8:54 am

The former Trafalgar Cinema/Odeon photographed in use as a supermarket in July 1983:
View link

Ron Knee
Ron Knee on December 19, 2018 at 8:03 am

The new Trafalgar cinema opened on 16th September,1935. The main film was ‘Devil Dogs of the Air 'featuring James Cagney and Pat O'Brien.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.