Aggie Theater

619 S. Main Street,
Stillwater, OK 74074

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Griffith Amusement Company, Video Independent Theaters Inc.

Architects: Gates Corgan

Previous Names: Center Twin Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Aggie Theater

The Aggie Theater was opened on August 8, 1926 with Norma Shearer in “The Waning Sex”. It was located on the northeast corner of 7th Street and S. Main Street. As of 1992, the site was occupied by Teubner and Associates.

Contributed by Lauren Grubb

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

seymourcox on August 28, 2007 at 1:31 pm

Vintage 1927, 1938, 1950, & 1980 interior/exterior photos can be viewed by typing in word “aggie”.
To see the Aggoe Theatre after conversion to Center Twin Cinema type in words “center twin”.
View link

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 26, 2009 at 1:14 am

The Aggie was built for the Griffith Amusement Company in 1926, according to The Reel Journal of June 12 that year.

The January 24, 1948, issue of Boxoffice reported that the Aggie Theatre had been gutted by a fire on January 18. The house was rebuilt.

The fire led to a delay in completion of the Leachman Theatre, then under construction. Equipment intended for the Leachman had been stored on the second floor of the Aggie building and was lost to the flames.

seymourcox on July 20, 2010 at 11:00 pm
Roadside Oklahoma offers modern photos and a complete history of the Centre (nee-Aggie) Twin Cinema, 619 S. Main St, Stillwater, OK

seymourcox on March 3, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Here is a modern day view of the former Aggie Theatre (pan left),
View link

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 28, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Gates Corgan was the architect of the Aggie Theatre. The house opened in mid-August, 1926.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on October 26, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Despite the current building’s somewhat theatrical look, it is not the original structure occupied by the Aggie Theatre/Centre Twin Theatre. This paragraph from a brochure for a walking tour of historic downtown Stillwater says the Teubner & Associates building was built after the theater was demolished in 1994:

“The Aggie Theatre was located at 619-621 South Main from 1926-1980. The building was built by Dr. D.H. Selph and leased by the Leachman and Griffith Brothers. In 1980 it was changed to the Centre Twin theatre, but closed in 1987. In 1994, the building that housed the Aggie and Centre Twin was demolished, and Teubner & Associates took over the space, while maintaining the old theater look.”
The brochure (PDF here) mentions several of Stillwater’s theaters and has small photos of a few.

dallasmovietheaters on May 20, 2022 at 9:29 am

The Aggie opened September 8, 1926 with “The Waning Sex.” It suffered a major fire closing the theater on January 19, 1948. The marquee was used to advertise the bookings which were moved to the Camera Theatre. The rebuilt Aggie opened in 1949.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.