105 N. Main Street,
El Dorado Springs,
2 people favorited this theater
Opera House El Dorado Springs (Official)
Functions: Movies (First Run)
Previous Names: Park Theatre
News About This Theater
- Jul 19, 2013 — Crossroads for Opera House
The Opera House, which was opened in 1915, was a 50 x 75 foot structure with a seating capacity of 700 people. The main floor was 50 x 50 feet and contained a balcony 20 x 50 feet, two smaller balconies graced either side of the main floor area near the stage. The entrance had a lobby with a colored tile floor and large plate glass windows. The theatre was built of brick and steel and heated by steam.
The first floor contained 350 plush opera seats and the balconies were furnished with seats bought from the Star Theatre in Nevada, Missouri. This is from an article that ran in the Sun newspaper in 1981.
The front of the theatre is two story and very ornate. The building is made of red brick with stucco accents. The original interior has been removed with the exception of the rear balcony and the tin ceiling. The ceiling is in good shape and we believe that we will be able to keep it.
Per the 1981 article, the Opera House began to show movies in 1919 and also was used for performances of high school plays. It was renamed Park Theatre from 1936 until the late-1950’s. The theatre was closed in 1971.
After a period when restoration and renovation to the building was carried out, it was reopened in 2010.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.