1073 Argyle Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
The Kelvin Cinema was located Finnieston in the West End of the city. The architects were Albert V. Gardner and William R. Glen (their last project working together) and it opened on 12th May 1930. Externally it was remarkable for having an octagonal stair tower on the left side of the entrance. The auditorium was clad, walls and ceiling, in asbestos panels! The ceiling having muraled paintings representing tented canvas awnings to give shelter from the ‘sun’. The Atmospheric style was completed with a Turkish mosque and other buildings on the left hand side of the proscenium and a Spanish village on the right hand side. It closed as a cinema in 1959.
It was then used as a boxing arena, followed in March 1973 as a bingo club. From 1981 it became a nightclub which closed in 1986. The building became derelict until 1992 when it was re-modelled as the ‘Creme de la Creme’, reputed to be the worlds largest Indian restaurant. The restaurant closed in March 2005 and the building was demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.