1 person favorited this theater
Palace Cinema - Broadstairs (Official)
Styles: Romanesque Revival
Previous Names: Windsor Cinema
Originally a 3-storey commercial building which in 1911 was converted into York Gate Hall. It was briefly used as a museum of armour, then sold to the town council which used it for storage and later leased it out for puppet shows and film shows, using a portable 16mm projector.
It was named Windsor Cinema in 1965 and 35mm equipment was installed. A small street level foyer gave access to a tiny 29 seat balcony with 126-seats in the stalls below reached by a staircase. The cinema was Grade II Listed in 1974.
Second owner Brian Stout re-furbished in February 1988 and with a seating capacity reduced to 111. Third owners Colin Jay and Sean Mills refurbished from 2006 onwards, installing a DP3K projector and 5.1 surround sound, enlarging the foyer concessions area and for a few years housing an organ with an illuminated console.
The 4th and current owners Simon Ward and Corrina Downing have since March 2016 refurbished throughout, including fully air conditioning the auditorium. The Thanet Film Society (est.1994)continue to present weekly screenings at the Palace Cinema.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.