ABC Sutton Coldfield
45 Lower Parade,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Firms: Satchwell & Roberts
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Empress Cinema
The Empress Cinema opened on 1st January 1923 with Constance Talmadge in “East is West”, and was operated as an independent. It was designed by the architectural firm Satchwell & Roberts. The interior decoration consisted of panelled walls and pilasters. In 1935, it was extended and modernised in an Art Deco style, again to the plans of Satchwell & Roberts. The seating capacity was increased to 1,391. This modernisation was due to the opposition the cinema would have from the new Odeon Theatre planned in the town.
From 31st August 1943 it was taken over by the Mayfair Circuit (a subsidiary of Associated British Cinemas(ABC)).
It was re-named the ABC in 1963 and closed on 2nd July 1971 with George C. Scott in “Jane Eyre”. The building was demolished and a shopping precinct and library were built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.