Alamo Theatre

136 N. Illinois Street,
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Additional Info

Previously operated by: Marcus Theatres

Previous Names: Palms Theatre, Palms 1 Theatre, Cozy Theatre

Nearby Theaters

Alamo Theatre

Opened as the Palms Theatre on September 8, 1913 seating 300. The theatre was remodeled and enlarged to seat 330 in 1918. It was equipped with a DeForest PhonoFilm & PhonoDisc sound system in 1930 and renamed Cozy Theatre. The theatre was located on N. Illinois Street and W. Wabash Street.

A bit of trivia on the Cozy Theatre: on May 14, 1938 it played the movie “Assassin of Youth”, a marijuana drug expose film. In October 1948 it was taken over by Marcus Theatres who remodeled the theatre and it was renamed Alamo Theatre. The Alamo Theatre closed in 1956. An office building now stands on the site of the theatre.

Contributed by Chuck

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

croghand on March 31, 2006 at 5:41 am

torn down for an office building

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 6, 2014 at 3:03 pm

The house at 136 N. Illinois Street was listed as the Palms Theatre in Polk’s 1919 Indianapolis City Directory.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

In 1916, The Indianapolis Star was listing two houses called the Palms Theatre. In addition to the one on North Illinois Street there was one at 30th Street and Highland Place.

Will Dunklin
Will Dunklin on April 29, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Motion Picture World, January 26, 1918, page 556 has several paragraphs describing upcoming, extensive renovations planned for the Palms Theatre 136-138 N Illinois Street.

“Edward G. Sourbier…owner of the Palms, has announced that the new arrangement will increase the seating capacity from 300 to 650…” It describes how the wall behind the screen will be taken down and the building extended by 40 feet.

The article goes on to mention that a new Wurlitzer organ will be installed, but the Wurlitzer lists do not show that they sold an organ in Indianpolis until 1922 and that was for the Circle Theatre.

dallasmovietheaters on December 12, 2021 at 3:49 pm

The Palms (aka The Palms Theatre aka Palms 1 Theatre) launched September 8, 1913 managed by Grant and Heath for Edward G. Sourbier Entertainment. According to reports, Sourbrier had previously opened the first dedicated movie theatre in Indianapolis. He was a car enthusiast city councilman, one of the principles of Stutz Motor Company, and purchased the Central Amusement Company / Central City Amusement Co. He even used his personal Stutz auto for some of the theater’s ballyhoo.

The Palms presented Keystone Films at 5 cents per photoplay show. A second location for Soubrier was established at 341 West 30th at Highland Street as The Palms 2 (aka The Palms 2 Theatre aka Palms 2) with the original becoming The Palms 1 Theatre or Palms 1. From a naming viewpoint, The Palms 1 became simply The Palms / The Palms Theatre in 1917 when The Palms 2 became the Courtney Theatre. From an historical viewpoint, The Palms was an important part of Indy’s “Movie Lane” / “Film Row” which found so many theatres packed into a small part of town; these theaters included The Palms / Alamo, the Lyric, the Lenwood, the Alhambra, the Ambassador, the Crystal, et al.

Sourbrier’s diminutive 300-seat theatre was updated in 1918 when he announced that he had taken over the adjoining Indiana Traction and Terminal Company’s baggage room as the Indiana Traction Terminal was a neighbor. This could have allowed a “new” Palms to double its seating from 300 to 650 and the addition of a prized Wurlitzer Organ to try to compete with new-build movie theaters' presentations. It appears that those plans never actually occurred – though the theatre did extend from 300 to 330 seats.

Further evidence that the transformation did not occur was in the theater’s renaming to “Cozy.” Cozy would not likely describe or be desirable for a newly-renovated 650-seat theatre. The 1930 change from Palms to Cozy was the venue’s “sound name” for the former Palms as sound was added by DeForest PhonoFilm and PhonoDisc to three Sourbrier locations. Central City Amusements would later upgrade the Cozy’s technology both in 1934 and again in 1939 to have sound on film exclusively .

On October 28, 1948, the neighboring Ambassador-Alamo would split apart with the Alamo nameplate coming to the Cozy courtesy of new operator Mannie Marcus and M. Marcus Enterprises. The theatre received new seats, lighting and equipment with Charles Aken managing the theatre. Good authorities say that the theatre closed in 1956 as the Alamo. Sadly, it is mostly not remembered.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 1, 2023 at 5:18 pm

An item headlined “Rebuild Closed Theatre” in the October 16, 1948 issue of Boxoffice said that the Cozy Theatre, recently closed by order of the state fire Marshall, would be rebuilt by Marcus Theatres, who had obtained a new lease on the structure. Improvements would include fireproofing, new seating and projection booth equipment, and a new ticket booth.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.