No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Shaw Organization
Architects: James Robert Vethavanam
No theaters found within 30 miles
The original Rex Theatre was opened in 1947 and was designed by architect James Robert Vethavanam in a Streamline Moderne style. It was operated by the Shaw Brothers. It burned down in 1972 and a new single screen, 1,100-seat theater was erected in its place in 1976. The newer Rex Theatre auditorium is not only larger, but it contains a balcony.
Later, the Rex Theatre became the first cinema in Malaysia to have a DTS sound system in 1993 in conjunction with the opening of “Jurassic Park”. The front foyer was revamped in 1995 and computerized ticketing was installed. Once operated by the Shaw Brothers, it was last leased to Golden Screen Cinemas.
The Rex Theatre was destroyed by a fire on November 5, 2002. A hostel was built on the site, which has also burn down.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.