217a Lower Clapton Road,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Associated British Cinemas Ltd.
Architects: William Riddell Glen
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Ritz Cinema
Located in the east London inner city district of Clapton. The Ritz Cinema opened on 23rd October 1939 with Gary Cooper in “Beau Geste” and Rosella Towne in “The Adventures of Jane Arden”. It was built by Associated British Cinemas (ABC) and designed by their house architect William R. Glen in one of his typical Art Deco styles. Seating was in stalls and circle.
It was located almost adjacent to the Kenning Hall Cinema (there was a church between them). The Ritz Cinema had a very un-eventful life, the only significant happening was in 1962 when its name was changed to ABC to bring it into line with all the other cinemas in the circuit.
The ABC closed on 15th September 1973 with Richard Benjamin and Dyan Cannon in “The Last of Sheila”. Within weeks the building was demolished and the empty site stood unused apart from cars parking on it. In 1994 a block of residential flats was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.