E. 13th Street and Mcgee Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Loew's Inc.
Architects: Carl Boller
Firms: Boller Brothers
Previous Names: Loew's Garden Theatre, Hippodrome Theatre
The Garden Theater opened on August 19, 1912 and was designed by Kansas City architect Carl Boller – as were the Empress Theatre, Gayety Theatre, and Midland Theatre.
The Garden Theatre was in an Atmospheric style to give the impression of being in an actual garden. Representing the exterior of other buildings, the theatre’s interior was dark red pressed brick. The ceiling of the theatre was colored to resemble the sky and incorporated paintings of clouds and tiny, twinkling lights to serve as stars.
As a vaudeville house seating 2,600 people, the Garden Theatre was Kansas City’s largest theatre at the time. Nine years after it opened, the owners of the Garden Theatre completely remodeled its interior. The original garden motif was abandoned in favor of a more sedate combination of white and gold walls accented with scarlet drapery.
Sadly, cosmetic realignments were not enough to draw the crowds as waning interest in vaudeville acts contributed to the Garden’s decline, and the theatre was demolished in 1930.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.