BRIC Arts Media House
647 Fulton Street,
4 people favorited this theater
BRIC Arts Media House (Official)
Architects: Thomas White Lamb
Previous Names: Mark Strand Theatre, Strand Theatre
The Strand Theatre stands next to the BAM Majestic (Harvey) Theatre on Fulton Street. Built as a movie theatre and designed by noted theatre architect Thomas W. Lamb, it was opened as the Mark Strand Theatre on August 30, 1919 with the movie “The World and Its Women” starring Geraldine Farrer & Lou Tellegen. It had a seating capacity for 2,940 in orchestra and balcony levels. The stage was 40 feet deep. Initially it was equipped with an Austin 3 manual, 22 rank organ, which was replaced by a Kimball 3 manual 22 rank organ in 1927.
It was part of the Warner Bros. Circuit Management Corp. in the 1940’s, and was sold to Fabian Theaters in August 1948. Independent operators took over in August 1953, and it began screening Spanish language movies. But this was short lived as in October 1953 it became the home to Alfredo Salmaggi’s grand opera company. It was closed in 1959.
The Strand Theatre was gutted internally and converted into a glass factory. This use lasted for several decades, ending in the early-2010’s. The building has been converted into the BRIC Arts Media House which opened on October 5, 2013. The auditorium seats 240, and there is standing space for 400. There is also a large gallery for exhibition, a state of art public access television center and a café.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.