Cinepolis Chelsea Cinemas
260 W. 23rd Street,
14 people favorited this theater
Previous Names: Clearview Cinemas Chelsea 9, Cineplex Odeon Chelsea 9, Bow Tie Chelsea Cinemas
News About This Theater
- Apr 29, 2013 — Bow Tie Cinemas to acquire Clearview
On the site where Cavanagh’s Irish Steak and Ale House stood from 1876 ‘til 1971 (followed by after-hours club Galaxy 21 in the mid-1970’s and storefront performance space the Squat Theatre in the late-1970’s and early-1980’s), Cineplex Odeon unveiled Manhattan’s then-largest multiplex on July 14, 1989.
On that date, the theatre’s first six auditoriums featured “Do the Right Thing”, “Weekend at Bernie’s”, and, with one print being shown in 70mm, “Lethal Weapon 2”. The final three auditoriums of the $15 million facility opened later in the year.
Management of the facility was assumed by Clearview Cinemas in late-Autumn of 1998 during the divestiture of 13 Cineplex Odeon houses throughout Manhattan resulting from a consent decree deal struck between merging Loews Theatres and Cineplex Odeon to satisfy the state’s Attorney General and the Department of Justice. In June 2013, Bow-Tie Cinemas took over. In late-2014 the theatre was being remodeled, with all-new extra wide rocking chairs with extra legroom, and reserved seating. In July 2016 it was taken over by Cinepolis. It was closed on January 8, 2023.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.