92 Weston Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Held 2,500 cars and included a motorized ride playground for the kids before the movie started. There were 6 concession lines. Was owned by Russo Brothers and leased for 20 years by General Cinema, Corp. It was opened on August 10, 1955 with “King of the Jungle” & Charlton Heston in “The Private War of Major Benson”. It was closed in 1975. Hartford-based Cinex Corp. reopened it, but it soon closed.
It claimed it was the largest drive-in in the world and sat on 32 acres. On the property now was the former (torn down) Hartford Jai-Alai, opened in 1976. A car dealership will take its place. There is also a motel, roads, Mcdonalds and a Burger King on the property. By 2022 there was a Curaleaf Cannibis & a Liberty Honda parts center on the site.
It was one of the first to run TV fights on large screen. Was to be twinned back in early-1970’s but the main screen fell down and the to-be second screen was installed for the replacement.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.