Jacey Leicester Square
7 Leicester Square,
2 people favorited this theater
Previously operated by: Jacey Cinemas
Architects: Cecil Aubrey Masey
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: Monseigneur News Theatre, Jacey Cartoon Cinema
The building actually opened in the 1890’s as the 100-bed Queen’s Hotel beside the Empire Theatre. In 1936 architect Cecil Masey was comissioned to convert the hotel lobby area in a 350 seat newsreel theatre for the Monseigneur circuit.
The theatre had a marquee above which was a neon lit board with the theatre’s name in large letters. When newsreels ended production in the late-1950’s it was taken over by Jacey Cinemas in June 1960 and went over to screening non-stop 1 hour shows of cartoons, re-named Jacey Cartoon Cinema.
Ten years later it was re-named Jacey Leicester Square when it began screening soft core ‘adult’ movies, opening on 16th April 1970 with “Wierd Wierdo”. It closed on 24th June 1978 and was converted into a small shopping arcade. In 1983, the building was gutted, removing all traces of the cinema and was converted into restaurant and casino use. The facade still retains its original 1890’s appearance.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.