H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts

122 W. Main Street,
Greenfield, IN 46140

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Related Websites

H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts (Official)

Additional Info

Functions: Performing Arts

Styles: Art Deco

Previous Names: Weil Theater, Village Theater

Phone Numbers: Box Office: 317.477.7469

Nearby Theaters

H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts

Opened as the 650-seat Weil Theater in November 1, 1946. It was renovated as the Village Theater and divided into two movie theaters from October 26, 1990.

The building was donated to the city by Allen & Linda Strahl in December 2002. Plans were made by the county visitors bureau, Hancock County Arts and Cultural Council and Greenfield Parks Department to return the Weil Theater to its Art Deco style glory, but instead of a movie theater, it will be an arts center for plays, concerts and poetry readings.

It re-opened as the H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts on 19th September 2006.

Contributed by KevinB

Recent comments (view all 9 comments)

TimmyP1955 on July 1, 2007 at 5:28 am

The caption of the photo on http://www.pbase.com/pathfindar/image/68942072 reads “Village East Theater (closed) Greenfield, Indiana”. The photo is of the building post restoration (note that the Marquee says 60th Birthday Nov 1, which was Nov 1 2006, as the building was actually built in 1946, opening on November 1, 1946). The facility is now known as The H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts. See http://www.hcvb.org/About/ricks-centre

rickscentre on May 21, 2009 at 2:27 pm

The new website for the facility is www.rickscentre.com


TimmyP1955 on February 11, 2011 at 2:58 am

The correct seating capacity is 386.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 16, 2014 at 12:18 am

A brief history of Greenfield’s theaters can be found on this web page. When the Weil Theatre opened on November 1, 1946, Greenfield had two other theaters in operation: the State, which closed in 1948, and the Riley, which closed in 1953.

Allen and Linda Strahl, now operators of Greenfield’s nine-screen Legacy Cinema, should be credited with donating this theater for public use.

rivest266 on June 5, 2016 at 9:57 am

Renamed as Cinema East on October 21st, 1966. 1946 and 1966 grand opening ads in photo section.

rivest266 on June 5, 2016 at 10:05 am

March 1st and September 13th, 1968 grand reopening ad as Greenfield Village Theatre in photo section

rivest266 on June 5, 2016 at 10:31 am

October 26th, 1990 grand opening ad as Village I & II in the photo section.

50sSNIPES on July 17, 2022 at 9:11 am

Opened with “Down Missouri Way” with no extra short subjects, but a special Hoosier Jamboree stage show was added a day after the Weil opened.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.