La Habra Theatre
201 W. Whittier Boulevard,
1 person favorited this theater
Architects: Gale Santocono
Styles: Streamline Moderne
Construction of the La Habra Theatre began in 1949, but for reasons unknown it was left uncompleted for seven years. A Santa Ana Register article on April 1, 1956 announced that Robert L. Lippert Theaters would complete its construction by June 15, 1956 at a cost of $350,000. Gail Santocono was the designer and its amenities included 1,200 seats, parking for 200 cars and two stores. An external feature of the building was a tall round tower centrally placed over the box office, which was sited on the pavement. All seating in the auditorium was on a single floor.
The La Habra Theatre opened on September 6, 1956. Directories and newspaper archives show that there was an earlier theater built as the Garden Theatre in 1919 and later renamed the La Habra Theater, but it was located on Central Avenue (now La Habra Boulevard) and was closed in the mid-1950’s.
For the last part of the 1960’s the La Habra Theatre was a Pacific Theatre and then dropped out of their listing after 1969 and then in the early-1970’s it showed up in the independent theatre listings as a twin. It finally disappeared from the movie listings in 1978 and in the middle 1990’s the building was demolished during downtown urban renewal.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.