4740 W. Madison Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previous Names: Madison Square Theatre, Pepe Theatre
The Madison Square Theatre was opened by the West End Amusement Co. on November 7, 1917. Located on W. Madison Street between S. Cicero Avenue and S. Kilpatrick Avenue, near where the neighborhoods of West Garfield Park and Austin meet. It was taken over by the Lubliner & Trinz circuit later in 1917 and they installed a 2 manual Wangerin organ. The Madison Square Theatre had no balcony or stage, but the building’s 5,000 square foot space, however, did contain a ballroom, which was located above the lobby. It also later had a Style D 2 manual 6 ranks Wurlitzer organ.
The theatre briefly closed during the 1920’s and reopened on August 29, 1930 as the Byrd Theatre, which operated until it closed in 1969. In its last years it was renamed Pepe Theatre and screened Spanish-language films. The building was later used as a church, but has since been demolished. The site of the block that the Byrd Theatre was on, is today a large vacant lot.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.