Paris Theatre

243 Bourke Street,
Melbourne, VIC 3000

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Uploaded By

Tiny film

More Photos of This Theater

Photo Info

Uploaded on: July 9, 2020

Size: 35.5 KB

Views: 470


Paramount theatre  - 243 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC  1915 - Later to become the Lyceum in 1932

Paramount theatre - 243 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 1915 - Later to become the Lyceum theatre in 1932

This venue operated under the guises of Paramount / Lyceum / Cleopatra / Paris -

1915: Converted from an existing warehouse to a two tiered cinema. Originally opening as a Paramount theatre under the management of J.C. Williamsons Films and owned by Electric Theatres Limited. On opening it had seated 1500 but in 1921 alterations took place to permit a further 400 seats.

Initially, Signor Kost’s orchestra provided the musical accompaniment to the films. The two-manual, seven-rank Wurlitzer from the De Luxe Theatre was moved to the Paramount, where it was opened by Manny Aarons in 1927.

The theatre was renovated and renamed the Lyceum by Hoyts in 1932. In 1936 Snider and Dean Pty Ltd took over the theatre and running it for many years before returning it again to Hoyts control. The Lyceum mainly screened move over programs from other theatres or revivals. In the 50’s and 60’s the Lyceum screened many MGM releases. On November 5, 1963 the Lyceum closed.

The venue was renamed the Cleopatra in 1964 opening February 28. It opened with the screening of the film Cleopatra.

The Paris opened with The Sound of Music on April 17, 1965.

With troubles over lease agreements, Hoyts were forced to vacate the venue. Its last months were spent screening revivals.

The Paris closed January 28, 1970.
Now the Tivoli arcade.

Contributed by Greg Lynch -

Unfavorite No one has favorited this photo yet

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment