Washington Center for the Performing Arts
512 Washington Street SE,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Evergreen State Amusement Corp.
Architects: George B. Purvis
Previous Names: Liberty Theatre, New Olympic Theatre, Olympic Theatre
News About This Theater
- Feb 14, 2007 — Mystery Theaters
The Liberty Theatre opened on August 30, 1924 with Milton Sills in “The Last Hour” plus 5-acts of vaudeville. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer 2 manual 9 ranks organ which was opened by organist Esther Steyner. By 1941 it was operated by Evergreen State Amusement Corp. The Liberty Theatre was renovated and refurbished in 1948 and was renamed the New Olympic Theatre movie house opening on April 2, 1948 with Clifton Webb in “Sitting Pretty”.
In the early-1980’s the Olympic Theatre was taken down to just a few exterior walls and completely rebuilt as the Washington Center for the Performing Arts. While the building’s façade still retains elements of the 1924 architecture, the interior is contemporary and modern.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.